Up in the cloud
By Andie McHardy-Blaser
Part of an educator’s role is sharing and exchanging information and useful tools/resources with his or her peers. While there is a multitude of ways to do so, there are some fantastic tools that make it easy and efficient.
“Cloud storage” is the new norm among educators and we want to share five popular tools for file sharing, giving you the opportunity to make an informed decision on how to best exchange, edit and manage files with your peers.
Click on the links for each platform below to learn more about it and/or to create a free account.
There is a very good chance you have heard of Google Drive before. It is one of the best free options for file sharing and is the most widely known platform.
- 15GB of free storage with a Google account (there is so much you can share with that amount of space!)
- You can purchase a larger cloud storage plan as you need it
- There is a mobile app for this platform that is also very user-friendly and efficient
This platform is easy to use and it’s free to sign up, as most file-sharing tools are.
- Free storage up to 2GB
- Everything you keep in Dropbox is synced automatically to all your devices (also has a mobile app)
- You can share files by sending a link to someone, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account
- You can give access to others to edit documents saved in your account
- There is an option to increase your storage if you want to pay for the space
For fans of Microsoft and its products, this platform may already be familiar to you. If you already have a Microsoft email account, this platform is a great option.
- Free Storage Space up to 20 GB
- Compatible with Gmail, meaning you don’t need to create a Microsoft email to get an account if you already have a Gmail account
- Has a mobile device app
- OneDrive albums help you keep photos organized and searchable
The free option for this platform is fantastic for sending medium-sized files without having to create an account.
- Send up to 2GB of files for free
- You can send a short message along with the link to your files
- There is a mobile app option for sharing on the go
- It’s a great way to send large files (such as videos) if you invest in a “Plus” account
- There is an option to increase your sharing limit if you want to pay for the additional space
If you’re looking for a platform to share your visual content (images & videos), then this is a great option.
- You get 1,000GB of FREE STORAGE!
- You can upload/access/organize/edit/share photos from any device
- Great for backing up all the photos and videos you have (remember, 1,000GB of free storage)
Subscribe to our blog for the latest updates and weekly posts, including an upcoming piece on Easter.